DeutschEnglish

Submenu

 - - - By CrazyStat - - -

17. June 2016

Multimedia Keys “stuck” after Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade

Filed under: Linux — Tags: , , , , , , , — Christopher Kramer @ 21:19

After upgrading Ubuntu Gnome to 16.04, the multimedia keys / extra keys (like play/pause, volume up/down, mute, calculator, forward, backward, etc.) of my old Cherry G86-21050 DEAAAA keyboard showed a strange behavior: Whenever one of the buttons was pressed, its effect was repeated over and over, just as if the button was stuck. So pressing pause would play and pause the song over and over, pressing calculator would open hundreds of calculator windows. Pressing another special keys stopped the previous effect from repeating, but repeated the effect of the last special key over and over. The normal keys (letter, numbers etc.) were not affected.

As the effect appeared after the upgrade for all special keys, I was sure it was a software problem and not a hardware problem.

Digging around with evtest (no, it is not a good idea to run evtest –grab on your keyboard in a tty :D), I found out that the key events are not repeated multiple times, but the keys are not released.

Annoyed, I tried another keyboard (Logitech Elite Keyboard) for comparison. The special keys of that one worked well.

Finally, I accidentally plugged the “faulty” Cherry Keyboard in the USB port that I had the working Logitech in between and voila: The Cherry’s special keys worked again.

So lesson learned: Have you tried plugging it out and in again? Is the first question you should ask (yourself) whenever some USB device behaves strangely.

Recommendation

Try my Open Source PHP visitor analytics script CrazyStat.

19. May 2016

Ubuntu Gnome: Upgrading to 16.04 Xenial Xerus fails: ubuntu-gnome-desktop (gdm, gnome-session, adwaita-icon-theme and adwaita-icon-theme-full)

Filed under: Linux — Tags: , , , , , , , — Christopher Kramer @ 13:26

Today I upgraded my Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 to 16.04 Xenial Xerus. I was surprised to find in the details that it removes gdm. I started the update and it went normal until it said ubuntu-gnome-desktop was broken due to unresolved dependencies. The GUI upgrade process that I had used closed and I was left with a system upgraded by half. But it was still running, so I started a terminal and started aptitude. It suggested to install various packages to resolve dependencies, especially gdm3, gnome-shell, gnome-shell-extensions and gnome-session. It also proposed to remove unused packages, which were not removed as the upgrade process had stopped half way. I followed aptitudes suggestions, but it left two packages not upgraded: adwaita-icon-theme and gnome-session.

And this took me quite a while to solve. There are two packages: adwaita-icon-theme and adwaita-icon-theme-full. The first one contains a subset of icons, whereas the second one contains all icons. The ubuntu-gnome-desktop requires the adwaita-icon-theme-full package, which in turn requires the adwaita-icon-theme package. The adwaita-icon-theme had an upgrade from version 3.18.0-2ubuntu3 to 3.18.0-2ubuntu3.1. The adwaita-icon-theme-full package requires that it is exactly the same version as adwaita-icon-theme, but the only version that apt found was 3.18.0-2ubuntu3.

Then I found out that adwaita-icon-theme-full is in the universe repository, whereas adwaita-icon-theme is in main. In my sources.list, I had the following:

deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-proposed main restricted
deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-proposed main restricted

Therefore, the new version of adwaita-icon-theme was found in the main repository. But universe (and multiverse) repositories were missing  the proposed level, and this was the reason why the new version of adwaita-icon-theme-full was not found by apt. So the solution was simple: Just changing the above lines in sources.list like this, adding universe and multiverse repositories:

deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-proposed main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-proposed main restricted universe multiverse

Then it updated the remaining packages normally using:

aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade

So lesson learned is:
If you add the proposed level in your sources.list, make sure you add it for all repositories you use, e.g. including universe and multiverse, not only main.

Hope this helps somebody who runs into the same issue.